Its been an exciting week so far for Chestnut Class as they have embarked on a fantastic journey through time on their visit to the Imperial War Museum as part of their ongoing studies on World War 2.
About the Imperial War Museum:
In 1917 the Cabinet decided that a National War Museum should be set up to collect and display material relating to the Great War, which was still being fought. The interest taken by the Dominion governments led to the museum being given the title of Imperial War Museum. It was formally established by Act of Parliament in 1920 and a governing Board of Trustees appointed.
The museum was opened in the Crystal Palace by King George V on 9 June 1920. From 1924 to 1935 it was housed in two galleries adjoining the former Imperial Institute, South Kensington. On 7 July 1936 the Duke of York, shortly to become King George VI, reopened the museum in its present home, formerly the central portion of Bethlem Royal Hospital, or ‘Bedlam’, thanks to the generosity of Lord Rothermere.
We took some pictures of our visit, which can be seen in the gallery below. Please click on the thumbnails for a larger view. We hope that you enjoy our gallery.